Tuesday 7 July 2015

Dear 4 Year Old Dot

Dear Dot,

You should be starting primary school right about now. It's nice here, you'll like it a lot. Well, you will until about Year 5. It all goes a bit tits up from there but you'll be fine. Just bear with. You've got a few years until then anyway.

If I could offer you any advice, stop being so serious. Honestly just lighten up a little. It's fine to get in a little bit of trouble sometimes- it's more fun that way. You're trapped in a mould of what you see as 'perfect' and if you're completely honest with yourself, it's boring right? Just do something- give yourself a bit of personality.

In general though, these few years are pretty good to you. If I'm honest, I don't remember much, but I'm sure you have a lot of fun. I've noticed that, my brain especially, is awfully good at remembering the bad bits- the time you wet yourself, the time you got your first 'Warning', the time you fell out with your best friend- but not so great at remembering the good bits. You're 4 though, things can't be that bad. 

Stop being so desperate to grow up. Embrace the fact you're surrounded by magic and dreams and hope. Cling onto them, they'll serve you well in your later years.

Other than that, have fun. Eat chicken nuggets and ice cream. Have teddy-bear picnics and run so fast you could fly. Just be a kid.

Love from
Dot x


actually about 8...

14 comments:

  1. This is honestly so cute, and I have to agree that I was such a serious child that I wish I could have lightened up a bit too. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thankyou! I think the same- I wish I'd had a bit more fun x

      Delete
  2. Awww that's so cute. And its true, kids should be kids as long as possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so true- I defo grew up too quickly :(

      Delete
  3. this is so cool! i recently did something like this, but i wrote to my future self. it was a school project and my teacher's going to send all the letters out in five years. i just think self-reflection and letters to yourself are really cool

    http://hellokuo.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awh that's so sweet of your teacher! x

      Delete
  4. This just made my entire day <3 I felt like this had such a great message behind it, like being more care free and enjoying the time you have. I'm going to take that these are letters to your past self right? This is such a good idea, I'd love to read more :)

    -Crystal
    http://crystallizeddaisies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was too wild a as a kid and now I'm too serious because everyone was telling me to get serious and now I wish I wasn't too stuck up ;) But kids shouldn't be serious, life is so easy for them. It's all about the fun! :D xx Maja
    ❤ http://majasmuffin.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, oh no! Kids should just be kids because childhood is far too short (as I'm now realizing) x

      Delete
  6. This is such a lovely letter! If I had to write a letter to myself I think it would say the opposite like stop being so naughty (I was SUCH a naughty child haha - so stubborn)!

    The Velvet Black | UK Style & Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, really?! I wish I was- I was just so scared of everything ^.^

      Delete
  7. it is very cute!

    http://differentcands.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're so on point, especially I totally agree with you that kids shoudn't have a need to growing up quickly and be serious! :)

    http://crafty-zone.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete