Wednesday 8 July 2015

Dear 10 Year Old Dot

Dear Dot

I hate to tell you this, but this is the time where you can truly say you learn what it's like to be sad. Of course you've felt upset before, like when Dad ate the last cake or after an argument with your sister. But you're about to learn what it's like to wake up and be so sad and afraid, you don't actually want to go into school. 

See, a few people are going to turn on you. A few people who you genuinely thought were your friends, and who you thought you were safe with, aren't entirely the people you though they were. You'd think pushing you down and making you feel like utter crap would be enough right? Ha, how wrong you are! I don't want to say you're being bullied because, compared to some horror stories you hear, it was mere childish taunts and teasing. But take one already anxious 10 year old, add said taunting and take away the friends she thought she had, and you're left with a big, fat mess. Add in the fact you've always been a bit too overly proud so won't tell anyone you're actually upset and mix in the natural insecurities you begin to develop as you approach your teenage years. That's what 'sad' feels like.

Y'know what Dot, as much as it pains you. You have to tell someone. I know you're pretty strong minded and for the first couple of months, it's like water off a ducks back, but after a while of being alone in a choppy ocean, even a duck will start to struggle. (You're still not very good at English so sorry for the crappy metaphor)

You're cool with those girls now though. If I'm honest you don't speak to them anymore. Not because of what happened- things brush over in a couple of weeks and you're pals again- but because as you grow up and move schools, you're just naturally separated. You grow apart and meet new people. 

It's weird. That's the main thing that sticks out from those years, despite the fact so many good things happened. I can't make out to be completely innocent though, I've been rude and simply cruel to people in the past, but that's for a later letter. 

Advice for 10 year old me? Be kind and have courage. Stop being such a pushover, but be polite about it. There's nothing wrong with being nice- even if that person is horrid to you. I heard something recently that I think you would appreciate hearing at 10 years old. It was by Carrie Hope Fletcher (you've got a few years before you learn who she is), who I believe heard it from someone else. Basically, if someone is trying to bring you down, it means they are already below you. Don't let yourself be dragged down to that level.

Have Courage and Be Kind

Love from
Dot x





16 comments:

  1. great post

    http://carrieslifestyle.wordpress.com
    Posts online about Marseille, Tahiti, USA...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh such wonderful touching words.
    I love it.
    I have a letter same like you too for myself.

    The Bandwagon Chic | Instagram | Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your super sweet comment <3 I massively enjoyed writing them, it's so healing! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this is such a nice letter! Reflections let us see how far we've come and how strong we are now. Amazing! Thank you for sharing this.

    astylishlovestory.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading- and being so sweet and lovely! x

      Delete
  5. I only just discovered your blog and I absolutely love this! :) xx

    blogjustabubble.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This series is so amazing. I absolutely love hearing your advice for your younger self. I'm so sorry to hear you had a tough time, you're such a wonderful person and everyone should be kind to you and not treat you like a pushover. I'm glad you learnt from it though, well done xxx

    http://izzyk1998.blogspot.co.uk/
    http://izzykreviews.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you sweetheart! It's all good now- just childhood teasing really. Seemed more severe when I was 10 ^.^ x

      Delete
  7. love this series, especially this one! and I totally agree with you, to say that some people will turn around to be very two faced! lovely post as per usual x
    ~ basicallychloe x
    Don't forget to smile! :) ~ x ☆
    www.basicallychloeblog.blogspot.com ☆

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very thoughtful post! Love your thought that is someone is bringing you down they are already below you. Keep on writing!

    Http://leftbankgirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, I love that phrase so much- gives me a bit of hope ^.^ x

      Delete
  9. Actually adorable, and I am in love with that final quote, I've never heard it before but I love it. Keep doing these, I love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you very much- it gives me hope and keeps me going <3

      Delete
  10. great post..

    http://pedisource.com/nail-salon-equipment-furniture.html

    ReplyDelete